Sagamok Anishnawbek First Nation
Submit Search


Water is a program of the Planning and Infrastructure Department responsible for making sure that Sagamok community has access to a clean, safe supply of drinking water to their homes. 


A quick look at Sagamok's Water Treatment & Distribution System

  • Sagamok's water treatment and distribution systems supply water to 392 homes and 20 band buildings. 
  • Sagamok's water system is classifed as Groundwater-Supplied with a Sodium Hypochlorite Disinfection Feed System.  This means we draw our water supply from underground water sources (aquifers) and we only treat it by adding chlorine.  We have some of the best water in the world in Sagamok!
  • Sagamok's water is drawn from three wells within two pump-houses.  Halfway pumphouse operates off 2 wells and is located on Pumphouse Road.  Toulouse pumphouse is located off Fort LaCloche Road and operates off 1 well.  
  • The elevated storage tank in Sagamok's water tower has a capacity to store 900,000 litres!
  • Sagamok's Water Treatement & Distribution WTD Team includes one licensed Water Treatment Pland Operator and one Operator-Trainee.  
  • Our WTD Team is on-call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!

Monitoring to Ensure the Safety of the Sagamok community and provide Great Tasting Beesh


Each day, Sagamok's WTD Team, 

  • monitors and records the operations of the Water Treatment Plant
  • monitors water by performing sampling and lab work on-site.  Water samples are collected from various places in our distribution system (from homes and buildings).  We bring those samples back to our lab located next to the Water Tower to measure levels of turbidity, pH, temperature, free chlorine and total chlorine.  We record all the results from this work so that we can address any concerns and ensure that Sagamok's water is the best tasting around.

Each week, Sagamok's WTD Team collects water samples from various places in our distribution system that are sent to an accredited lab where they are tested for bacteriological and E.coli (Colilert).  


Sagamok Anishnawbek holds and agreement with Health Canada that provides Sagamok with a consultation resource and allows Health Canada to collect samples of Sagamok's drinking water each quater (3 months).  Lisa Vincent is Health Canada's Environmental Health Officer (EHO) working with Sagamok.



Answering your questions about Sagamok's Beesh


What happens if our daily samples indicate high levels of turbidity?  a pH that is too high or low?  a temperature that is too high or low?  levels of (free chlorine) that are too high or low?  


What happens if our weekly samples test positive for bacteriological or E.coli contamination?  


What should I do if my water has an unusual taste, odour or colour? 

If you have concerns about unusual taste, odour or colour in your home’s drinking water, it could be due to repairs, construction, flushing, open fire hydrants or maintenance work in your area. These types of work can cause rust and scale products that normally adhere to the inside of watermains to break away, causing water to appear dirty and stain your laundry – but don’t worry: it is still safe to consume and use.

If you notice dirty water, let a cold tap run for 5 to 10 minutes until the water clears.

If the issue remains, contact the Water Department.


What do I do if a water pipe breaks on my lot or in my home? 

If you have an internal problem like a broken water pipe on your property or in your home/building, you can use the main shut-off valve which is usually located in the basement to turn off the water.  If you are unable to turn it off, you should contact the Water Department to shut water off at the curb. Remember: it is the responsibility of homeowners to ensure that their inside shut-off valve is in proper working order.


Why might my water pressure be low? 

Heavy water use in your area can cause temporary low water pressure in your home. This could be caused by lawn watering, a water main break or a fire hydrant in use. You could also experience permanent low water pressure because of your home's location (on a hill or far from the pumping station), undersized pipes or pipes with a lot of scale in them. Report a permanent drop in water pressure to the Water Department.


It’s a cold night in January and my water has stopped flowing when I turn on the taps.  I think my water lines are frozen.  What do I do? 

The first thing you need to do is determine if the waterlines coming into your home have frozen or if you have internal plumbing problems. 

Try running different cold water taps throughout your home. 

If more than one has running water and others do not, your issue is likely internal and you should call a plumber. 

If you find that all there is no water running from any of the taps in your home, or you are not sure where the problem is, contact the Sagamok Water Department:

Regular Business Hours (Monday – Friday  8:30-4:30pm) by calling (705) 865-2421

After hours and holidays, call (705) 863-

Our Water Department personnel will work with you to determine where the cause of your water disruption is occurring, including, where necessary, conducting an on-site investigation. 

If you are a tenant of a private renter, it is your landlord who must contact the Water Department with issues concerning water service. 

If you are a tenant of the Sagamok Housing Department, _


What precautions can I take to prevent freezing of my home’s internal plumbing and incoming water lines? 



Find out more about federal water quality guidelines with Health Canada's Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality that deals with microbiological, chemical and radiological contaminants and concerns with physical characteristics of water, such as taste and odour.


Find out more about water Turbidity with Health Canada's Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality - Turbidity

Find out more about water pH with Health Canada's Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality - pH

Find out more about water Temperature with Health Canada's Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality - Temperature

Find out more about Chlorine in water with Health Canada's Guidelines for Canadian Drinking Water Quality - Chlorine



Do you know the role of Environmental Health Officers in our community?

They help ensure the safety of our drinking water, food, wastewater and solid waste disposal systems, housing units and facilities.  They are also involved in controlling communicable diseases and preparing responses to emergency situations.


Read about what Environmental Public Health Officers do in Sagamok and other First Nation communities with Health Canada's “First Nations Environmental Health Program” (2008).



Do you need to report an issue with water at your home or business?

Want to report a concern with Sagamok's water quality or distribution system?


Give us a call during regular business hours [8:30am-4:30pm] at (705) 865-2421. 


If it is after hours and it is NOT an emergency, you can leave a message at extension 260 and you can expect a return phone call during the morning of our next business day.


If it is after hours [Monday - Thursday from 4:30pm - 8:30am] and it IS an emergency,

you can call our on-call Operator at (705) 863-5245 or (705) 863-2608.