Important Notice

Please be advised that any issuance of Indian status Cards is only accepted at the Sagamok Anishnawbek Membership office and any Membership letters are now by appointsments only.  To schedule an appointment, please contact Rhea Assinewe, Membership Clerk at (705) 865-1134

When applying for a Certificate of Indian Status card; the Registration Policy requires two (2) pieces of identification shown for all Status Card applications

For children under 16 only require one piece of Identification and ONE piece of Identification from the accompanying parent.

No Status Cards will be Issued without Certificate of Status Card (C.I.S.) Fees:

  • C.I.S. WITH PHOTO $10.00
  • C.I.S. WITHOUT PHOTO $5.00

Acceptable Forms of Identification:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Canadian Passport
  • Driver’s License
  • Employee ID Card
  • Firearms License
  • Guarantor Form
  • Expired Certificate of  Indian Status card
  • Provincial Health Card (OHIP)
  • Provincial ID Card
  • Student ID Card

How to obtain the "New" Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development is currently accepting WALK-In clients only.  For more information or to book an appointment contact your local Aboriginal Affairs Office.

Aborigianal Affairs a& Northern Development Canada
Sudbury Business Center
40 Elm Street, Suite 290
Sudbury, ON, P3C 1S8
Phone: (705) 522-5100
Or For more information:
1-800567-9604 TTY: 1-866-553-0554

SCIS Information SCIS Information

Sagamok Anishnawbek 2013/ 2014 Membership Authority

(Please note:  next SAMA election will be held September 2014)
Patricia Toulouse, Chair
Amanda Hardisty, Vice-Chair
Jessie Hardisty
Patricia Owl
Pamela Sago-Toulouse
Vanessa Trudeau
Violet Toulouse

Applications for Membership

Any registered Indian who has at least two natural or adoptive grandparents who are, or were at the time of their death, entitled to be registered as Indians, is eligible to apply for membership who is also either:

  • a person whose parent is or was a member of the Sagamok Anishnawbek
  • the spouse of a member of the Sagamok Anishnawbek, or
  • a person who seeks to transfer their existing membership from another First Nation to the Sagamok Anishnawbek, and has received the majority support at a General Membership meeting



The New Indian Registration System and Procedural Changes

Before you can Register your child, you would need to receive a Notification of Birth Registration from the Office of the Registrar General, then apply for a copy of the Live Birth Statement with the Registrar General.

When Registering a Child, he/she will receive their own registry Number.  Sagamok Anishnawbek Membership Office will no longer pay for the “Statement of Live Birth”, the Parents will now have to pay for their own.

Required Documents 

The Statement of Live Birth (long birth certificate) which identifies the parent (s) by name.

  • If the named father is claimed to be incorrect, the applicant must contact Vital Statistics to obtain an amended birth registration with the correct paternity information or alternatively, present DNA evidence with court order;
  • If the birth document does not state paternity but Indian paternity is claimed, then Statutory Declarations completed by both parents confirming paternity will be required to substantiate the claimed father.
  • If the father is not registered as an Indian within the Indian Act, but named on the Live Birth Statement, they must also sign the application.


Registration (Stats) Under the Current Indian Act

Section  6(1)

(a) registered prior to April 17, 1985

(b) Members of New Bands      

(c) Those who lost status through:

12 (1)B (Marriage to Non-Indian)

12(1)A   IV (Double Mother)

109 (2) (Mother married Non-Indian)

12(2) (Non-Indian Paternity)          

(d) Those enfranchised by application 109 (1) (voluntary)                      

(e) Those removed as a result of: Section 13 before 1951 (five years outside country); Section 111 before 1920 (University Degree or Profession)

(f)  Those with both parents in 6 (1) or 6 (2)

Section 6(2) Those with one parent in 6(1)

Section 12 (1) (b)   Indian women lost status

Section 11 (1) (f)   Non-Indian wife becomes Indian

Registration Category

Fees for Services Canada:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Replacement Birth Certificate
  • Certified Copy (Long Form)
  • Replacement of Certified Copy
  • Marriage or Death Certificate
  • Certificated Copy (Marriage/ Death)
  • Birth/ Death/ Marriage Confirmation letter
  • Delayed Registration of Birth

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of the Registrar General

P.O. Box 4600, 189 Red River Road
Thunder Bay, ON P7B 6L8
1-800-461-2156 / Fax(807) 343-7459

Request for a New Registration Number

  • As of 2003, INAC is not providing individuals with a new registry number, as he/she has reached the age of majority.
  • This does not mean your child will fall under the same number, he/she will receive their own upon registration